Saturday, June 12, 2021

Next on my reading list

I'm sure my dear reader is dying to know which book I'm going to read now that I've finished A Son of Taiwan. I'm still working on John Shepherd's Statecraft and Political Economy on the Taiwan Frontier, but that's sort of leisure reading. (Sorry, Professor Shepherd!) I've decided to read Language, Politics and Identity in Taiwan: Naming China, by Hui-Ching Chang and Richard Holt (Routledge, 2014). I've read some of it before but never the whole book. 

And as I mentioned in a previous post, the book is notable (to me, anyway) for being a rhetorical study that is published in a Routledge series on Taiwan rather than rhetoric or communication. I was looking to see if Stephen Hartnett had cited it, and it appears he doesn't, which is odd since his book is also about the rhetoric of China-Taiwan(-US) relations. I would think that Chang and Holt's book would be quite relevant. One possible reason that it slipped through his radar is that, from what I can tell, the book has never been reviewed in any communications-related (or any other) journals. (I'm judging this from a search of my library database. If anyone can find any reviews of this book in a scholarly journal, please correct me.) I wonder why this book doesn't seem to have been reviewed. It also has been cited only 25 times, according to Google Scholar. Could it have fallen through the disciplinary cracks? 

(By the way, I really wish A World of Turmoil had a bibliography--it was very hard to check through its endnotes to see if Chang and Holt had been cited. Maybe in a future printing/edition?)

No comments: