Monday, March 27, 2023

Two new books in the former native speaker's library; writing plans

I received my copies of Xiaoye You's Genre Networks and Empire: Rhetoric in Early Imperial China and Hsin-I Cheng and Hsin-i Sydney Yueh's (eds.) Resistance in the Era of Nationalisms: Performing Identities in Taiwan and Hong Kong, so that's exciting. You's book promises to take a "decolonial and transnational approach" to the study of rhetoric in ancient China, so I think I'll be bumping that book to the front of my readings in preparation for the "Decolonizing Comparative Global Rhetorics" RSA Summer Institute seminar I mentioned I'll be participating in this May. 

But first I want to finish reading Yang Tsui's (楊翠) 《永不放棄:楊逵的抵抗、勞動與寫作》(蔚藍文化, 2016), after which I'll write some notes here about that. It's quite a moving (and sometimes frustrating) biography of Yang Kui (or Yang K'uei, if you prefer), and it has me thinking a lot about Yang as rhetor and rhetorician. I'll try writing up something about Yang Tsui's depiction of him in that light.

No comments: