Thursday, January 27, 2022

New book in the former native speaker's library

In lieu of telling you how my writing plan is going (badly), I'll tell you that I just received a new/old book: Maritime Taiwan: Historical Encounters with the East and the West by Shih-Shan Henry Tsai (M. E. Sharpe, 2009). 

I think I saw it cited somewhere and thought I should check it out. Unfortunately, since M. E. Sharpe's collection is now owned by Routledge, there were no copies I could find on Amazon for less than $50. As John Ross wrote in his succinct review, 


For the fun of it, I went to eBay and was happily surprised to find a copy for only around $22 from a shop called Zuber. So I ordered it, and it came today. It wasn't quite what I expected (the image they used on eBay was of the new Routledge edition), but I'm not going to be picky when the alternative is to spend up to $150 just for a fancier cover. (I do see there was a complaint a couple of years ago about Zuber's tendency to send different editions than what appears to be advertised. If that's the case, I'll have to be careful in my interactions with them.)

Anyway, I'll be sure to get into reading this book to further put off my writing!


No comments: