Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Another attempt at National Academic Writing Month

I think the last time I really thought about National Academic Writing Month was back in 2016. As I said back then, I didn't think November was a good month for focusing on academic writing, especially if you're a college teacher in the US. For me, there is always the combined pressure of reading and commenting on student work and the Thanksgiving holiday toward the end of the month, leading up to the end of the semester. 

This year is a bit different because I'm not teaching this semester, so I should be able to do a bit more academic writing. I'm still working on my Taiwan rhetoric paper, though right now I'm waiting on feedback from my mentor. In the meantime, I'm working on a GHK-related paper that has been sitting around since my NATSA conference presentation last July (last last July?). I also need to spend some time developing my "rhetorics in contact" course because I hope to talk to some people about it this month. So I have a few things to accomplish this month, which will keep me busy.

I'll also be kept busy by my son, who managed to break his arm at school last week. He's taking it pretty well, though--probably better than I am. He should be out of his cast by the beginning of December. 

Right now it has gotten colder for the first time this fall (around 39 degrees right now), and I guess the suddenness of the drop in temperature has caught the owners of this coffeeshop by surprise. It's almost as cold inside here as it is outside! 

OK... nothing else to say here right now. Gotta get back to old GHK, who is patiently waiting...

No comments: