Friday, February 21, 2020

My copy of Grajdanzev's Formosa Today

Around the time I started posting about Andrew Grajdanzev, I bought a relatively inexpensive copy of his 1942 book, Formosa Today, on Amazon. It didn't click with me at the time, but when I received the book, the name "Harold J. Noble" was written at the top of the cover.


I don't know if this means that Noble owned the book or not. The book used to belong to the College of the Pacific--there's a bookplate on the inside front cover that says, "In Memory of Harold Joyce Noble." Noble, who was born and raised in Korea as a missionary kid, was a major in the Marines during WW2 and later on First Secretary in the US embassy in Seoul in 1950. Before that, he received his PhD from the University of California, Berkeley (writing on "Korea and Her Relations with the United States before 1895") and teaching at the University of Oregon from 1931-1934. He was also a member of the Institute of Pacific Relations. He died at the relatively young age of 50 (I can say that now) aboard a flight from Japan to Hawaii on December 22, 1953, when he was on his way home to California.

No comments: