Thursday, September 01, 2016

New year's resolutions, Fall 2016

Tried this 10 years ago. The idea was that the more meaningful unit of measurement for us academic-y types (at least those of us in the U.S. and some other parts of the world) starts in September and goes until May (or December, if you want to do "new semester resolutions"). So it seems reasonable to make resolutions at the beginning of the school year instead of in January.

Anyway, the idea was nice, but I pretty much failed on all of my resolutions, with the possible exception of #7 (though you'd have to ask her about that). But I'm 10 years old now, so maybe I'm mature enough by now both to make achievable resolutions and to successfully carry out those achievable resolutions. (?) So here goes:
  1. Write regularly. (I forget what "write incrementally" meant and the link to Krista's blog is broken.) Keep a journal in which I write at least 750 words a day.
  2. Exercise more--at least do some more walking.
  3. Drink more water and fewer sugary drinks. (Including iced coffee and iced tea.)
  4. Send a polished draft of my GHK paper to a journal. (At least I need to get some feedback on it.)
  5. Spend quality time with the family. (Hopefully this can be combined with #2.)
  6. Spend less time on the internet, particularly Facebook.
  7. "Keep to a schedule enough so that at the end of every day I can look at my daybook and feel satisfied that I accomplished a few important things." (That sounded good 10 years ago, and it still applies.)
  8. "Don't make too many resolutions, promises, and/or commitments that I won't be able to keep." (That's also from 10 years ago. It still seems reasonable.)
That should be enough. And they're mostly pretty vague (except for 1 and 4), so perhaps I can fine-tune them as the year goes on.

[Update, 8/25/21: Although some people would agree that in 2016 I acted like a 10-year-old, I meant to write "ten years older"...]

No comments: