Saturday, August 08, 2020

Some sources about Norwood, MA

I'm preparing for the fall semester--I'll be teaching two sections of First-Year Writing for Multilingual Students and one section of Travel and Place-Based Writing. At least two of these classes will be fully online (we'll see what happens with the remaining one), which means that the students taking these courses will probably be scattered around the world--though some will probably be in Boston.

For Travel Writing (and possibly for First-Year Writing, as well), I've been thinking about a project in which students would introduce their hometowns or the places where they currently live to each other. This was something that we did somewhat indirectly in last spring's Travel Writing. I found out some interesting things about Norwood when I was working on these projects along with the students. I did a Google Slide presentation about Ellis Pond, an artificial pond nearby. I also discovered a book about Norwood that collected newspaper columns written by Win Everett, a local journalist, during the 1930s. 

On my latest search, I found three four "new" (new to me) sources about Norwood that look pretty interesting:
  • Fanning, P. (2010). Influenza and inequality: One town's tragic response to the Great Epidemic of 1918. University of Massachusetts Press. https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt5vk99j
    The "one town" is Norwood, MA. This seems like a timely book, given our current pandemic.  A past president of the Norwood Historical Society, she has also published a more general history of Norwood. Here's a profile of Fanning about the influenza book.

  • Fanning, C. (2010). Mapping Norwood: An IrishAmerican memoir. University of Massachusetts Press. https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt5vk3d9
    The Fannings are brother and sister--Patricia Fanning and Charles Fanning--who grew up in Norwood. (I don't know if their other brother Geoffrey wrote any books about Norwood, but I see that he passed away in 2019. My belated condolences to the family.) Googling Charles Fanning, I found a speech he gave about growing up in Norwood

  • Very, F. (1910). Fall of a meteorite in Norwood, Massachusetts. Science, 31(787), 143-144. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1634788
    This short article (or letter) describes "a meteoric stone [that] fell to earth on the farm of Mr. W. P. Nickerson, of Norwood, Mass." overnight Oct. 7-8, 1909. Now I'm going to have to find out where that farm was. I have some old maps of Norwood that I have found online, so I'll check there first. 

  • Very, F. (1910). The Norwood "meteorite"' a fraud. How meteoritic evidence may be manufactured. Science, 31(794), 415-418. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1636137
    I came across this article when trying to find out where W. P. Nickerson's farm might have been (no luck with that so far). It seems Very did some more research and discovered the whole affair to be a fraud and that Nickerson was in it. There's another article following this one entitled "The Norwood Meteorite (?)" that I haven't looked looked at yet. Oh well, I was going to look for the farm where the meteorite fell, but now I don't know that I have to.
I'll have to skim through the two books to learn more about Norwood and to think about what students might be able to find that's comparable.

No comments: