Saturday, February 19, 2005

Book meme: 123.5

(After reading the chutry experiment)
  1. Grab the nearest book.
  2. Open the book to page 123.
  3. Find the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
  5. Don't search around and look for the "coolest" book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.

Well, this definitely won't impress anyone:
Note that M. and P. before names may be abbreviations for the titles Monsieur 'Mr.' and Père 'Father' (M. René Char, P. J. Reynard). (123)
From the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, sixth edition. (Yeah, I'm working on my Research Methods syllabus...)

2 comments:

susansinclair said...

I've done this meme a few times, and I never have a fabulous book near to hand. In fact, were I to recreate this again (the last version used Ballenger's The Curious Researcher), I'd have to be honest and point out that at my left hand is the March issue of InStyle magazine. And page 123 is an ad for Dillard's department store with virtually no text. I could describe her shoes--would that count? ;)

Jonathan Benda said...

Yeah, I don't know how you'd figure out what the fifth "sentence" is, though.

If I were doing this again, I'd have to use the fifth edition of the MLA Handbook instead of the sixth (I'm comparing the reading assignments from last year with this year's). I don't know if MLA-style bibliographic citations count as sentences or not.