Wednesday, April 13, 2005

After 15 years, Julien again

ERG will remember how in the early 90s, our mutual professor S would greet me as "Julien" every time he saw me. For some reason, I never had the heart to tell Professor S my real name (or maybe I just didn't care enough to tell him), but I was curious why he always addressed me as Julien. I guessed he was mixing me up with Julien Benda, author of The Treason of the Intellectuals.

Anyway, yesterday I ran into a former student who was visiting campus for the day, and he greeted me with a big smile: "Julien!" I'm pretty sure he was mixing me up with a former teacher here named Julien, though. Wonder if I should change my name, though...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredible!
--ERG

Anonymous said...

Julien Benda is a much better name. They are trying to tell you something.

Jonathan Benda said...

*Sigh* as I expected...